Sure, this slaw is meant for tacos – but you can put it on anything.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
When it comes to barbecue sides, sandwich toppings, and even taco extras, slaw is a standout choice. Typically made from different varieties of cabbage, a leafy green that’s packed with vitamin K, vitamin C, and folate, it’s a flavorful and textural treat. And when it comes to tacos in particular, like or Chile-Lime Fish Tacos, topping your favorite tacos with this Mango-Jicama Slaw for a creamy but crunchy alternative to classic salsa.
This slaw brings together juicy mangoes and the apple-like crispness of jicama into a single nutrient-rich and summer-inspired treat. Each bite brings plenty of fiber – a benefit for your gut – as well as antioxidants and vitamins. And there’s an extra benefit to the jicama; this root veggie is actually rich in natural prebiotics.
And while we’ve created this topping primarily for tacos, it’s also well-suited to other foods. This tropical slaw would also pair with grilled protein at a summer barbecue. Add it to grilled dishes with simple seasoning blends, like our Grilled Cilantro Chicken & Shrimp recipe or Grilled Lamb Chops. Or, you can serve it along with everything from skewer recipes to your pick of grilled, in-season veggies. Think of it as an extra that can infuse a little brightness and a bit of citrus anywhere you need a pop of fresh flavor.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp raw honey
- ¼ tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded jicama
- ½ medium mango (peeled and cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 small thinly sliced jalapeño
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small, unheated skillet, combine extra-virgin olive oil and garlic. Place over low heat and cook until the mixture sizzles. Let cook undisturbed for 30 seconds, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk in lime juice, honey, ancho chile powder, salt and pepper. Add jicama, mango, green cabbage, jalapeño and cilantro. Toss to coat. Season to taste. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes or cover and chill for up to one day. Stir well before serving.