Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp maple syrup, divided
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups stemmed and chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup French lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp chopped sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, toss squash with 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Arrange squash in a single layer on 1 end of sheet. Transfer to oven and roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, toss kale in same bowl that squash was tossed in. (NOTE: No additional oil is needed as kale will absorb oil left in bowl.) Remove squash from oven and arrange kale on other end of baking sheet. Bake both squash and kale together for 10 more minutes until squash is tender and browned and kale has wilted. Cover to keep vegetables warm.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium, combine lentils, quinoa and broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
- Make vinaigrette: Combine garlic, vinegar and mustard in a blender with remaining 1 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp maple syrup and 2 tbsp water. Blend on high until mixture is emulsified.
- Portion kale among 4 plates. Line a small bowl or ramekin with saran wrap. Place a layer of one-eighth squash into the bottom of the bowl, followed by a layer of one-eighth lentils and one-eighth quinoa, packing in ingredients by pressing down on them. Repeat with 1 more layer of one-eighth butternut squash, one-eighth lentils and one-eighth quinoa. Turn bowl over onto a plate, over kale. Repeat layering process with remaining 3 plates. Top each plate with vinaigrette, seeds and sage, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 butternut tian): Calories: 392, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6 g, Carbs: 62 g, Fiber: 13 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 17 g, Sodium: 525 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg