Pure agave tequilas have herbal and mineral qualities that enhance the flavor of the marinade and help the flavor penetrate.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/4 cup 100% agave tequila
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice plus 1 tsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey or 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- 1 lb peeled, deveined and tail-on large shrimp (raw fresh or frozen, defrosted and drained)
- High-heat cooking oil (such as grape seed or safflower), as needed
- Pinch each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Large bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- In a medium bowl, combine tequila lime juice and zest, cilantro, olive oil, honey and jalapeño (if using). Transfer shrimp to a large resealable bag or container and pour marinade over shrimp, tossing gently to coat. Transfer to refrigerator to marinate for 1 to 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat a grill to medium and brush grates with cooking oil. Remove shrimp from marinade, discarding any excess marinade. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and black pepper and thread onto skewers. Grill shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once, until firm, opaque throughout and pink in color.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 131
- Carbohydrate Content 1 g
- Cholesterol Content 214 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 155 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g