NUTRIENT-PACKED TOMATOES: Cherry tomatoes are packed with nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that supports the immune system; vitamin K is essential for normal blood clotting and bone support; and potassium is integral for maintaining healthy blood pressure and kidney health. It’s also a great source of the antioxidant lycopene, which protects the body’s cells from free radical damage.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
2 store-bought, deep-dish whole-grain pie crusts, thawed, room temperature
6 large eggs
1/3 cup half-and-half cream
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup chopped red onion
3/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced fresh mozzarella balls
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Meanwhile, remove crusts from wrapper and stack one on top of the other on a sheet of parchment. Cover with another parchment sheet and roll crusts out to about 12 x 17 inches.
2. Transfer crust to a 9 x 13-inch sheet pan with a 1-inch rim and press crust firmly into corners and sides. (Note: Make sure you are using a pan with raised edges, not a flat cookie sheet.) The crust should extend above the sides of the pan by about ¼ inch; fold extra crust slightly over sides of pan. Bake crust for 7 minutes, until just beginning to turn golden. Remove from oven, poke any bubbles with a fork and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. While crust cools, whisk together eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in onion, tomatoes and basil.
4. Pour egg mixture into cooled crust. Arrange cheese over egg mixture, pressing gently to submerge them. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until eggs are just puffy and golden. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 507
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 214 mg
- Fat Content: 37 g
- Fiber Content: 6.5 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 18 g
- Sodium Content: 557 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g