Love soup? Discover our favorite cold-weather soup and stew recipes!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 oz whole-grain or brown rice rotini pasta
- 8 oz extra-lean ground beef
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried fennel seeds
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 oz jarred roasted red peppers (packed in water), drained and diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, egg whites, oats, parsley, fennel and pepper flakes. Mix well and shape into 24 1-inch balls.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Working in batches, add meatballs and cook, turning frequently, for 7 to 8 minutes, until cooked through.
- Spoon pasta and meatballs into soup bowls, dividing evenly. To pasta pot, add broth, red peppers, oregano and salt; bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Spoon into bowls and top with cheese. (TIP: For added flavor, drizzle servings with extra-virgin olive oil.) Garnish with additional oregano.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 289
- Carbohydrate Content: 31.5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 34 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 334 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g