Mediterranean Hummus Plate with Smoky Chickpeas
Scoop up the creamy hummus, crispy chickpeas and tangy salad with pita wedges, or serve it all tucked into a halved pita pocket for dinner on the go. If you have the ingredients on hand, make a quick sauce with Greek yogurt, lemon juice and chopped fresh mint and drizzle over the spiced chickpeas.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
COST PER PLATE: $3.36
TOTAL COST: $12.71
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each dried oregano, smoked paprika and ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup hummus
- 4 cups packed baby arugula
- 2 6-inch whole-grain pitas, warmed and cut into wedges
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 English cucumbers, chopped
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2½ oz feta cheese, crumbled or diced, optional
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss together chickpeas, red onion, garlic, 2 tsp oil, oregano, paprika, cumin, pepper flakes and salt. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and bake until beginning to turn crispy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad: In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 tsp oil, vinegar and black pepper. Add olives, cucumbers, tomato, green onions, cheese (if using) and mint and toss to coat.
- Spoon hummus (store-bought or homemade) onto plates, dividing evenly. Top with chickpeas. Divide arugula among plates and top with salad. Serve with pita wedges.
Tip: If making your own hummus, try our Avocado Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus for extra flavor.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 351
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 578 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g