Mediterranean Lamb & Eggplant Bolognese
Bolognese is a traditional Italian tomato and meat sauce that simmers gently to thicken. Our lamb bolognese version features ground lamb and eggplant for rich and filling flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
COST PER PLATE: $2.49
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/4 lb), trimmed and diced
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups BPA-free canned, jarred or boxed unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb whole-grain spaghetti
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and eggplant and sauté, stirring often, until softened and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add lamb, garlic and salt and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until lamb is browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, oregano, cinnamon, pepper and 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until eggplant is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; divide among serving bowls. Spoon Bolognese over pasta and sprinkle cheese and mint over top.
- Serving Size 1 cup spaghetti and 1 cup bolognese
- Calories 466
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 54 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 441 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g