Whole-grain pita chips stand in for tortilla chips in this Mediterranean twist on nachos. Topped with ripe tomatoes, garlicky chickpeas and a cilantro-tahini sauce, this shareable snack is the ultimate warm-weather finger food.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 4 9-inch whole-wheat pitas (TIP: Look for Lebanese-style pita, which is typically thinner than other varieties.)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 4 tsp za’atar (TRY: Frontier Co-op Za’atar Seasoning)
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro + additional for garnish
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 15-oz can unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup crumbled full-fat feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut each pita in half horizontally, opening up pockets to peel apart into 2 thin pieces each. Brush bread with two-thirds of oil and sprinkle with za’atar. Place pieces on a large baking sheet and bake until crisp, stirring halfway, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Break pita into large pieces, about the size of a large tortilla chip. Arrange pieces in an even layer on sheet. (MAKE AHEAD: Pita chips can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container.)
3. In a food processor, blend together ice water, one-half of lemon juice, cilantro, tahini, one-third of garlic, and salt and pepper until smooth. Set aside.
4. In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat remaining one- third of oil. Add remaining two- thirds of garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, remaining one-half of lemon juice, all the lemon zest and a splash of water and mash with a potato masher until chickpeas are crushed and mixture is heated, 3 minutes.
5. Spoon chickpea mixture over pita. Sprinkle tomatoes, bell pepper and cheese over chips.
6. Just before serving, bake nachos for 5 minutes, until heated through. Drizzle with tahini sauce and garnish with additional cilantro (if using).
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 332
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 459 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g