A Dressing That Does It All
Salads are a cornerstone of a healthy diet, and the dressing alone in this dish packs a nutritious punch: It’s made with extra-virgin olive oil, which contains compounds like oleocanthal and oleuropein that possess anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s sweetened with honey, rich in cardioprotective flavonoids and phenolic compounds linked to reduced risk of heart disease.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 large limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp chopped BPA-free canned chipotle peppers with adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 1 1-lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 8 oz organic tempeh, cubed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces
- 1 14-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Black Beans No Salt Added)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or mild feta cheese
1. Make dressing: In a blender, purée all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
2. Make salad: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss together squash, tempeh and oil. Spread on sheet. Roast until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar and honey to a simmer on medium-high. Add onion and remove from heat. Let stand about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Place lettuces on a platter or in a large bowl. Top with squash mixture, beans, avocado and pickled onion. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with cheese; toss just before serving.
Make Ahead: Make dressing and pickled onions up to 3 days ahead; store in separate airtight containers in the fridge. The squash and tempeh can be roasted up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Assemble before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 473
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 34 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 192 mg
- Sugar Content: 6.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 23 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 5 g