Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 12 oz whole-wheat vermicelli bundled noodles
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp Mexican chile powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups jarred or boxed whole tomatoes
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded deli-fresh, low-sodium turkey breast
- 1 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Dollop low-fat sour cream thinned with a bit of milk, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush a 9-inch square pan with 1 tsp oil and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add vermicelli and cook, turning with tongs, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer vermicelli and any broken pieces to a plate.
- Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, coriander, oregano, chile powder and bay leaf and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Using your hand, crush tomatoes into skillet and add chipotles; stir to combine. Increase heat to high and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, vermicelli, salt and black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, breaking up vermicelli with a spoon for about 5 minutes. Stir in turkey and remove bay leaf.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and sprinkle cheese over top. Cover pan loosely with foil and bake until cheese melts and casserole is heated throughout, about 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 560, Total Fat: 14 g, Sat. Fat: 3.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 78 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 29 g, Sodium: 14 mg, Cholesterol: 40 mg