Find more soup recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt, divided + additional to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 3 dried guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1¾ cups cooked pinto beans
- 1¾ cups frozen and thawed corn
- Optional garnishes: cubed avocado, sliced radishes, lime wedges and cilantro
- Season chicken with oregano, ¾ tsp salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, place dried chiles and cover with water (at least 1 cup). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- To a blender, transfer chiles with ¾ cup liquid from saucepan and add onion, garlic, cumin, cloves and ½ tsp salt; purée until smooth.
- In a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Pour purée into pan and reduce to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add broth, beans, corn and chicken. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt, as needed. Serve with suggested garnishes (if using).
- Serving Size: 1/6 of soup
- Calories: 369
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 142 mg
- Fat Content: 13.5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 811 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g