Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more soup recipes.
- Season chicken with oregano, ¾ tsp salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, place dried chiles and cover with water (at least 1 cup). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- To a blender, transfer chiles with ¾ cup liquid from saucepan and add onion, garlic, cumin, cloves and ½ tsp salt; purée until smooth.
- In a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Pour purée into pan and reduce to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add broth, beans, corn and chicken. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt, as needed. Serve with suggested garnishes (if using).
- Serving Size 1/6 of soup
- Calories 369
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 142 mg
- Fat Content 13.5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 811 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g