Love these Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers? Check out more Mexican recipes here.
TOTAL COST: $12.68
COST PER SERVING: $3.17
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 large red and/or green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp safflower or olive oil, divided
- 8 oz extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. With a paring knife, carefully trim bottoms of peppers so they stand upright; do not cut through flesh. Slice off tops and remove and discard stems; finely chop tops and set aside.
- Carefully insert a paring knife into cavities of peppers and trim away seeds and membranes from insides. Wrap each pepper in foil and arrange upright in an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake until slightly softened, about 20 minutes. Remove from foil and set aside until cooled slightly. Reduce oven heat to 350˚F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add beef and sauté, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove beef from skillet, cover and set aside; keep skillet on medium heat.
- To skillet, add reserved chopped pepper tops, onion, cumin, coriander, salt and chile powder. Sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Stir in beans, corn, tomato paste, lime juice and beef. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Brush bottom of 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1/2 tsp oil. Stand peppers cavity side up in dish. Spoon beef mixture into peppers, packing tightly. Cover with foil and bake until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, about 35 minutes. Garnish with cilantro (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed bell pepper
- Calories: 237
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 62 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3.5 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 482 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g