Mid-East Cobb Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Creamy Tahini Dressing
This salad is inspired by an Israeli sandwich known as Sabich – containing fried eggplant, boiled eggs, chopped vegetables and tahini all stuffed into a pita. In our satisfying main dish salad, we’ve taken all those same ingredients but roasted the eggplant instead.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed and cubed
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp shawarma seasoning blend (NOTE: Look for this at Middle Eastern stores. If unavailable, any Middle Eastern spice blend can be used here.)
- 3 8-inch whole-wheat pita pockets, split in half and each half cut into 6 wedges
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp Za’atar seasoning
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 small heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh curly parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. On a large rimmed baking sheet, arrange eggplant and chickpeas in a single layer. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with shawarma seasoning and toss. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway, until chickpeas are browned and eggplant is tender. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven to 400ºF. Arrange pita on a large rimmed baking sheet, mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with Za’atar. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- In a small food processor or blender, process yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and 2 tbsp water until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, onion, parsley, cucumber, eggplant, chickpeas, egg and pita. (Alternatively, arrange ingredients in rows on a platter.) Drizzle or toss with dressing.
- Serving Size 2 3/4 cups salad
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 190 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 279 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g