We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup BPA-free canned or pouched pumpkin purée (NOTE: Not pumpkin pie filling.)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp unsalted pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon)
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice (TRY: Simply Organic Allspice)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Nutmeg)
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cayenne Pepper)
- 3 plum or vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, peeled and diced (about 1 cup diced)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Za’atar seasoning (NOTE: This is a seasoning blend that you can find in the ethnic section of grocery stores or in specialty Middle Eastern stores. The exact blend of spices can vary, but it typically includes sesame seeds, thyme and sumac.)
- Prepare tahini sauce: In a small food processor or blender, combine all tahini sauce ingredients and 5 tbsp water; process until smooth. (TIP: You can also do this step in a bowl with a whisk; however, you’ll need to mince the garlic first.) Set aside.
- Arrange an oven rack 5 to 6 inches from top heat source and preheat broiler to high. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray.
- Prepare kofta: In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, 2 cloves garlic, pumpkin, ¼ cup parsley, nuts, cinnamon, allspice, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Using your hands, mix until combined. Divide mixture into 20 1-oz meatballs, and form each into an oval shape. (TIP: Wet your hands to keep mixture from sticking.) Place meatballs on sheet. Broil for 7 to 8 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad: In a medium bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Divide kofta and salad among serving plates
- and drizzle kofta with tahini sauce.
- Serving Size: 4 KOFTA, 1 1/2 TBSP TAHINI SAUCE, 1/2 CUP SALAD
- Calories: 236
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 50 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g