1. To a small pot, add lentils and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cook, partially covered, for 20 to 22 minutes, until lentils are tender but still hold their shape; drain. Spread lentils on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside to cool to lukewarm, 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan on medium. Add fennel seeds and toast for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Transfer fennel seeds to a food processor. Return pan to stove and heat oil. Add onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Transfer mixture to food processor with fennel seeds.
3. To processor, add oats, miso, raisins and soaking liquid, soy, chia and half of cooled lentils. Process briefly until ingredients are combined and mixture begins to stick together, leaving a little texture. Add remaining lentils and sunflower seeds and pulse several times to just incorporate, leaving plenty of texture. Transfer mixture to a bowl; refrigerate for 1 hour, then form into 8 patties.
To cook patties for a burger: In a sauté pan on medium-low, heat 1 tsp oil. Add 2 to 3 patties and cook for several minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Serve with favorite toppings and our Mint Yogurt Sauce.
To cook patties for a Bolognese sauce: In a sauté pan on medium-low, heat 1 tsp oil. Add 2 patties and cook for several minutes on each side, until browned. Use a spatula to break apart into clusters then add additional 1 tsp oil and sauté 5 minutes more, tossing often. Add to 1½ cups tomato sauce and toss with cooked spaghetti.
- Serving Size 1 patty
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 25.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 430 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g