Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Cut a piece of parchment to cover bottom and halfway up the sides of an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- Heat a large saucepan on high. Add oats and toast, tossing frequently, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor. Return pan to stove and add dates and 2 tbsp water; cover pan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring water to a simmer; turn off heat and let dates steam for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add Kamut, cashews, 1 tsp espresso powder (if using) and ¼ tsp salt to food processor with oats. Process 4 times for 30 seconds at a time until a coarse meal forms. Transfer to a large bowl.
- To food processor, add dates and water mixture, vanilla and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Process for 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to scrape down sides of bowl. Add cashew butter and process for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as a sticky, soft mixture comes together.
- Scrape date mixture into bowl with oat mixture. Work dry ingredients into date paste by folding, pushing and cutting it with a large rubber spatula. Using wet hands, knead mixture firmly for a minute or more until it comes together into one lump. Press into an even layer in prepared dish.
- Stir a pinch of espresso powder (if using) into melted chocolate and drizzle over bars. Cover dish with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Cut into 12 bars. Keep wrapped and refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size 1 bar
- Calories 125
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 82 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g