- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup strong black coffee
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or chopped chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup coarse kosher or sea salt for processing
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients except the sea salt until blended. Chill the ice-cream mixture overnight in the refrigerator in a small covered bowl.
- Remove the ice-cream mixture from the refrigerator, beat it with a hand-held mixer for 10 minutes, then cover it tightly. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice. Add the sea salt. Nest the covered ice-cream bowl inside the salt-ice bowl so the ice-cream bowl is surrounded by ice.
- Place the bowls in the freezer for 45 minutes. Remove the cover of the ice-cream bowl and beat the ice cream with a hand mixer for 5 minutes. Return the bowls to the freezer and freeze for several hours or longer.
- Test every hour (yum!) until you’re happy with the texture.
If you need it now, this version is firm and icy in texture:
- Fill a gallon sized zip-top bag halfway with ice. Add ½ cup of kosher salt. Place the ice cream in a zip-top bag inside of the ice bag. Seal the ice bag well. To avoid leaking, double-bag the ice bag.
- Shake and rotate the bag continuously for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the inner bag and check the ice cream for firmness.
- If firmer ice cream is desired, return it to the ice bag, add more ice, and shake and rotate for another 5 minutes. Enjoy.
Excerpted from Seagan Eating: The Lure of a Healthy, Sustainable Seafood + Vegan Diet by Amy Cramer and Lisa McComsey. © 2016 by Amy Cramer and Lisa McComsey. TarcherPerigee, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.