We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb sirloin beef, trimmed of fat and cut into ¼-inch-thick strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp each ground turmeric and ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Turmeric and Ground Cumin)
- 1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon and Ground Black Pepper)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (TRY: Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper Flakes)
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth, divided
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½- to 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups jarred or boxed unsalted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 1/4 cups dried chickpeas, soaked in water for 24 hours (TIP: If you don’t have time to soak chickpeas for 24 hours, boil them for 1 hour, until al dente, then drain and set aside.)
- 1/3 cup sliced dried unsweetened apricots
- Sea salt, to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lightly packed finely chopped fresh mint leaves (NOTE: Chop just before serving.)
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add beef and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium and heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add garlic, onion, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper and pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and stir, scraping up browned bits in bottom of skillet with a spoon. Transfer to slow cooker.
- To slow cooker, stir in remaining 2 cups broth, potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas and apricots; cover and cook on high for about 4 hours. Season with salt.
- Just before serving, combine zest and mint. Top chili with mint mixture.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 385
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 154 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g