The Beloved Bird
Chicken is low in calories and rich in protein, a macronutrient essential for repairing tissues and building muscle mass. Darker cuts like drumsticks and thighs are higher in iron, which keeps anemia at bay, and zinc, necessary for optimal immune function. This recipe makes use of a whole chicken, so no cut of meat is overlooked.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil mayonnaise (TRY: Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp harrissa paste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (or about 4 cups any variety of leftover cooked and shredded chicken)
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored, chopped
- 1/3 cup halved red grapes
- 3 tbsp chopped pitted green olives
- 4 toasted whole-grain buns, for serving
- 8 leaves Boston lettuce, for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, parsley, harissa, pepper and salt. Stir in shredded chicken, fennel, grapes and olives.
2. Divide mixture among buns and top with lettuce.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 584
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 112 mg
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 45 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 667 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 11 g