Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid on medium high, heat oil. Working in batches if necessary, add chicken and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium, and to Dutch oven, add shallots, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 30 to
- seconds. Add saffron, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaf and broth; stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom with a wooden spoon. Return chicken and any juices back to pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Add olives, lemon zest and juice and continue cooking, covered, for 30 minutes more.
- About 30 minutes before chicken is done, prepare quinoa:Cook quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, and stir in red pepper and 2 tbsp parsley.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm. Increase heat to high and simmer sauce until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to pot, until reheated through. Serve over quinoa and garnish with remaining 2 tbsp parsley.
- Serving Size 2 thighs and 1/4 of quinoa
- Calories 398
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 144 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 4.5 g
- Protein Content 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 462 mg
- Sugar Content 1.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g