We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 1 tsp each ground ginger, ground cumin and turmeric (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Ginger, Ground Cumin and Ground Turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups Almost Instant Chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup jarred, boxed or BPA-free canned unsalted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 tbsp chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (TRY: Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper Flakes)
- 1 cinnamon stick (TRY: Simply Organic Cinnamon Sticks)
- 2 1/4 cups cooked kamut or whole-wheat couscous
1. In a small bowl, stir together ginger, cumin, turmeric, salt and black pepper. Sprinkle over chicken. On the Instant Pot, press Sauté and set to More/High. Add oil and heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
2. Reduce Sauté heat to Less/ Low. Add onion and carrot and sauté for 3 minutes. Press Cancel. Stir in broth, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add chicken, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, dates, garlic, pepper flakes and cinnamon stick. Lock lid and set release valve to Sealing. Press Pressure and set to More/High; adjust cooking time to 15 minutes.
3. When cooking is done, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes (don’t move the vent), then carefully set release valve to Venting. When metal pin in lid falls and all pressure is released, unlock lid. Discard cinnamon stick and spoon chicken mixture onto plates. Serve with cooked kamut.
Tip: We prefer this dish garnished with fresh cilantro and served with lemon wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup Kamut
- Calories: 515
- Carbohydrate Content: 71 g
- Cholesterol Content: 106 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 14.5 g
- Protein Content: 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 466 mg
- Sugar Content: 24 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2.5 g