Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
A slow-and-low cooking method ensures this extra-lean roast cooks up perfectly tender and moist, while a warm mix of exotic spices and fruity pomegranate imparts a satisfying flavor profile. Customize your meal by substituting the veggies called for here with whatever winter squash or root vegetables you have on hand, such as carrots, parsnips or even cooking pumpkins like the Cinderella, Baby Bear or Sugar Pie varieties.
- In a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker, add squash and rutabaga and scatter leeks over top. Add 1 cup water.
- In a small bowl, combine ras el hanout, pomegranate molasses, oil and garlic; mix to form a paste. Rub mixture over entire roast. Transfer roast to slow cooker and top with thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice against the grain and divide among plates. Spoon squash mixture onto plates, dividing evenly. If desired, drizzle with any accumulated pan juices from slow cooker and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serving Size 3 oz roast and 1 cup squash mixture
- Calories 363
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 117 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 42 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g