Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Video: Cooking with Potatoes
Mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes, even purple potatoes! Chef Jo offers some tips and tricks where potatoes are concerned, plus a guide to each.
Nutritional Bonus: Roasted, grilled or steamed, eggplant contains virtually no fat, is low in calories (only about 20 per 1-cup serving) and is a good source of fiber, potassium, folate and copper.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Fill a large 4-qt pot halfway with water (2 qt), cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes, until firm but not fully cooked. Strain and set potatoes aside to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, brown beef with onion and garlic in a small 2-qt pot over medium heat, breaking up beef into little pieces, for about 4 to 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft and beef is no longer pink. Pour in tomato purée and 1 cup water. Mix in cinnamon, pepper, oregano and bay leaf. Lower heat to simmer (medium low) and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover 2 cookie sheets with aluminum foil and mist with cooking spray. Lay eggplant slices on sheet and lightly mist again with cooking spray. Bake in oven for about 8 minutes. While eggplant cooks, slice cooled potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Remove eggplant, transfer to plate, raise oven to 475°F, re-spray foil and lay potato slices on cookie sheets. Lightly mist potatoes with cooking spray and bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove. Lower oven to 350°F.
- Make béchamel: In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, milk and egg until blended; mixture should be thick.
- Spray a 12 x 9-inch glass casserole dish with cooking spray. Arrange 1 layer of potatoes in dish, top with layer of eggplant, then pour all of beef mixture over top. Top again with a layer of potatoes and then eggplant. Finish with béchamel. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake in oven for 45 minutes, until set and lightly brown. If not brown, raise temperature to 400°F and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serving Size 11-oz serving (4 x 3-inch piece)
- Calories 240
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 40 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 250 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g