- Preheat broiler to high and position oven rack 8 to 10 inches from heat source. In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, cornmeal, Sucanat, baking powder, baking soda and salt. (TIP: To measure, lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup without shaking cup or packing down flour; level with flat edge of a knife.)
- In a large, clean bowl (preferably stainless steel), combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside. Add buttermilk and oil to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Add half of egg whites and gently fold into batter until just a few white streaks remain (do not over-mix). Repeat with remaining egg whites. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Spread banana on sheet in a single layer and mist with cooking spray. Broil until edges are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes, reducing broiler temperature to low if browning too quickly.
- Mist waffle iron with cooking spray, add 1/2 cup waffle batter and cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Repeat with remaining batter, misting iron with cooking spray before each waffle. Serve immediately, topping each waffle with about 1/4 cup bananas and 1 tbsp maple syrup.
- Serving Size 1 waffle, 1/4 cup banana slices, 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Calories 279
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 268 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g