Portobello mushrooms are full of nutrients including copper, niacin and riboflavin. Copper is integral for energy production and for the
production of collagen, the latter of which is the
major structural protein in your skin. And niacin and riboflavin, like other
B-complex vitamins, are essential in converting carbohydrates into glucose for energy.
1. Prepare risotto: In a small bowl, combine porcini mushrooms with ¾ cup hot water. Let stand for 15 minutes. Reserving ½ cup of the soaking liquid, drain mushrooms. Chop and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine reserved soaking liquid with broth; set aside.
2. On the Instant Pot, press Sauté and set to More/High. Add 1 tbsp oil and heat. Add yellow onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add barley and garlic and sauté for
30 seconds. Stir in wine and cook, stirring constantly, until almost no liquid remains, about 2 minutes. Press Cancel.
3. Stir in reserved broth mixture,
porcini mushrooms, 1 tbsp minced
thyme, ½ tsp each salt and pepper, cheese rind and bay leaf. Lock lid and set release valve to Sealing.
Press Steam and set to More/High; adjust cooking time to 20 minutes.
4. When cooking is done, let pressure release for 10 minutes (don’t move the vent). Carefully set release valve to Venting. When metal pin in lid falls and all pressure is released, unlock lid.
5. Press Sauté and set to More/High. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Discard cheese rind and bay leaf. Stir in grated cheese and season with additional black pepper.
6. Meanwhile, prepare portobello steaks: Preheat oven to 450°F. Arrange mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet, stem sides down. Brush all over with 1 tbsp oil and vinegar. Sprinkle shallot, 1 tsp minced thyme and ¼ tsp salt over top. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Spoon risotto onto plates.
Slice mushrooms and fan over risotto. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serving Size 1 cup risotto and 1/2 portobello steak
- Calories 354
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 647 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g