Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz lean ground pork
- 1 large zucchini, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms (or brown mushrooms), sliced
- 1 4-oz pkg gourmet mixed mushrooms (blend of portobellos, cremini, oysters and shiitakes), sliced
- 4 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 6 stalks green onion, green and white parts chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups cooked whole-wheat orzo
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil on high heat. Add porcini mushrooms and simmer for 4 minutes. Strain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium-high. Add pork, stirring to break up meat. Cook until brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Once zucchini is soft and begins to release liquid, add white, cremini and gourmet mushrooms. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes, until mushrooms begin to release liquid.
- Stir in flour and cook, uncovered, for another 2 minutes. Add reserved porcini cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Mix in onion, thyme, orange zest, soy sauce, pepper, salt and porcini mushrooms. Simmer on medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup orzo in a soup bowl and top with 1 cup mushroom ragout.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup mushroom ragout and 1/2 cup orzo): Calories: 235, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 40 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 12 g, Sodium: 198 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg