It’s difficult to find a more perfect food than miso. Just a tiny bit delivers protein, B vitamins, manganese, vitamin K, copper and zinc – all must-have nutrients to keep energy levels from flagging. And because the paste is fermented, the nutrients are more easily absorbed by the body. Combine that with antioxidant-loaded ginger and protein-rich mussels, and you’ve got a power meal in these Mussels in Miso Ginger Broth.
When you feel like you’re in need of a bit more energy, this recipe can deliver exactly what you need. And it takes just 30 minutes to make, with just a little prep. There’s no fussing with these mussels; as they simmer on your stovetop, each shell should pop open on its own as the steam does all the hard work. If you do all of the chopping and mincing ahead of time, you can even throw this dish together for a quick and easy lunch that only needs about 15 minutes of cook time.
Our favorite ways to enjoy these Mussels in Miso Ginger Broth? Spoon both the mussels and the richly-flavored broth over your favorite variety of rice. Or, to keep it super simple, you can enjoy them without any extras.
Mussels in Miso Ginger Broth
- In a large pot with a lid over medium, heat oil. Add scallions, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together miso and broth.
- Add broth mixture and mussels to the pot; stir. Cover and cook until mussels have opened, 6 to 10 minutes. (Discard any mussels that are still tightly closed.) Serve over rice (if using) and sprinkle with dark scallion greens, if desired.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 403
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 90 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1,451 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g