Cake, creamy mascarpone, and sweet summer fruit all in one dessert? That’s exactly what each one of these Individual Nectarine and Raspberry Trifles offers, portioned into a perfectly sized serving. It’s a dessert that can easily serve a crowd – or, you keep the extras around for a sweet treat throughout the week. And this a sweet trifle that puts fresh summer fruit to use in an irresistible way.
While trifles are traditionally made with ladyfingers soaked in sherry or fortified wine, this version eschews the spirits and gets its chew from almond cake. The gluten-free cake, which is made with a combo of almond and coconut flours, provides a density that holds up against the summer fruit and mascarpone filling. Choose whichever fruit is in its prime, but note that the prettiest trifles feature fruit with different colors and textures.
Because you want the cake to hold its shape, make sure to use almond flour and not coarser almond meal to create the cake in each of these Nectarine and Raspberry Trifles.
Once you’ve tried these trifles, you can try your hand at other similarly sweet single-serve desserts:
Individual Nectarine and Raspberry Trifles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, cane sugar and baking powder. Stir in butter, egg, vanilla and 3 tbsp water. Batter will be thick.
- Press dough into the prepared pan, top with sliced almonds and press again. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Make the filling: Place whipping cream and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on high speed until soft peaks begin to form. Beat in mascarpone cheese and lemon zest.
- To assemble, place a scoop of whipped filling in the bottom of each dish or glass, top with a layer of cake cubes, and a handful of fruit, repeat layer and top with toasted almonds.
- Serving Size ⅙ of recipe
- Calories 630
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 142 mg
- Fat Content 50 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 25 g
- Sodium Content 83 mg
- Sugar Content 29 g