New-Fashioned Chicken Piccata
Most chicken piccata recipes use white flour to dredge the chicken, but in this Whole30-friendly version, we’ve used a combination of arrowroot and almond flour instead. A quick sauce of broth, coconut cream and mustard powder adds big flavor to this easy dinner.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A Better Butter?
A type of clarified butter, ghee has a thousand-year track record of enhancing Indian recipes from rices to meats. Prepared by evaporating the water in butter and removing the milk solids, ghee can be enjoyed by those who are lactose intolerant as the majority of the offending by-products are removed during the clarifying process. It’s also the reason that ghee is allowed in Whole30 dishes while regular butter is not.
- 4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½-inch thickness
- ½ tsp sea salt + additional to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ cup drained capers
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. On a plate, combine arrowroot and almond flour. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat oil and ghee. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on underside, about 4 minutes. Flip and brown on other side until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- To skillet, add broth and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil, scraping skillet with a wooden spoon to dislodge any bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook to reduce sauce slightly.
- Add coconut cream and mustard powder. Bring to a simmer and add capers. Return chicken to skillet and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook to heat chicken through, turning to coat in the sauce, about 2 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 447
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 141 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 42 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 548 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g