½ cup ghee
3 large egg yolks (use in-shell pasteurized eggs)
1 tsp Dijon mustard (check labels for wine-free)
1 tbsp lemon juice + more to taste
⅛ tsp sea salt, or to taste
FRITTERS & EGGS
4 cups peeled and grated sweet potato
1 small yellow onion, grated
7 large eggs, divided
2 tbsp arrowroot
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup avocado oil, or as needed
1 tbsp white vinegar
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, optional
1. Prepare hollandaise: In a small saucepan, melt ghee. In a blender, combine egg yolks, Dijon, 1 tbsp tepid water and lemon juice. With motor running, stream in ghee. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and additional lemon juice. Pour into a bowl and cover to keep warm. Set aside.
2. Prepare fritters: Using a towel, squeeze out excess water from potatoes. In a large bowl, combine potato, onion, 1 egg, arrowroot and salt; mix thoroughly. In a heavy skillet, heat oil on high. Working in batches, place 2 tbsp mixture into oil per fritter. Reduce to medium heat and flatten out with a spatula. Cook fritters until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
3. Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a simmer. Add vinegar. Crack remaining 6 eggs into small bowls or cups. Use a wooden spoon to stir simmering water carefully around the rim of pot to create a circular motion. Working in 2 batches, add eggs, 1 at a time, to center of pot. Return pot to a gentle simmer on low heat and cook eggs until set yet still runny in middle, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining eggs.
4. On each serving plate, place 2 fritters and top with 1 egg. Drizzle sauce over top. Sprinkle with cayenne and parsley (if using).
- Serving Size: 2 fritters and 1 egg with sauce
- Calories: 376
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 352 mg
- Fat Content: 30 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 435 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g