Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
You Save: 93 calories, 16 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 765 mg sodium, 24 mg cholesterol
- Using a sharp knife, thoroughly remove skin and visible fat from chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic container that is slightly larger than the breasts. Pour buttermilk over breasts, then turn them so they are completely coated. Let marinate in refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight, rotating them once or twice.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly mist a medium, nonstick baking sheet with spray.
- In a small bowl, mix mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Add panko to a medium, shallow bowl.
- Remove 1 chicken breast from buttermilk, allowing any excess liquid to drip off. Sprinkle both sides of breast evenly with 1/4 of seasoning mixture. Then transfer it to bowl of panko, covering it completely with crumbs. Place breaded chicken breast face down (ribs up) on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Lightly mist top of breasts with spray. Bake chicken for 10 minutes, then gently, being careful not to remove any breading, flip the breasts. Lightly mist them again with spray and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until breading is crispy and chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days to eat cold. (TIP: To make your breaded chicken a bit more golden in color, try toasting the panko in a skillet over medium heat before using it to cover the chicken. Just remember to consistently shake the skillet over the stove to ensure you don’t burn the panko.)
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast
- Calories 267
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 91 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 255 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g