Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Powerful Plant Compounds
The medley of cabbage, sweet potato and carrot in these Japanese-style pancakes possesses a host of health benefits. Cabbage is packed with vitamin K (vital to helping blood clotting) and folate (a B vitamin required by the body to make DNA). Plus, you’ll fill up on beta-carotene, the pigment which gives sweet potatoes and carrots their bright orange color, to help bolster eye health, skin health and immunity.
- Prepare pancakes: In a large bowl, combine cabbage, sweet potato, carrot and white/light green parts of onions. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut flour, water, arrowroot, ginger, tamari, baking soda, garlic and salt; whisk to a smooth batter consistency. Stir egg mixture into cabbage mixture and mix well. Fold in shrimp.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat a large cast iron stick skillet on medium-high. Mist with cooking spray. Add ¾ cup batter and gently push batter down with a spatula until flattened into a 6-inch circle. Cook until underside is browned, about 4 minutes. Gently flip and cook about 3 more minutes. Transfer to a wire rack over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Serve pancakes with sauce and, if desired, reserved greens of onions and sesame seeds.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, freeze half of pancakes for later in the week. Thaw and reheat when called for. Reserve sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Serving Size 3 pancakes with sauce
- Calories 556
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 524 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 929 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g