One-Pot Mediterranean Lemon Chicken & Rice
Not only is clean-up minimal with this one-pot chicken dish, but you can freeze it and simply reheat and eat so you spend less time in the kitchen and more time doing the things you love.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano, divided
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 5 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ¾ cup sprouted rice blend (red, brown and black) or brown rice
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided (NOTE: Use additional wedges for garnish.)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 1 14-oz BPA-free can artichoke hearts, halved
- 2 cups baby kale (or regular kale, stems removed and chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp oil, garlic, 1 tsp oregano, salt and pepper. Add chicken and coat with marinade. Set aside for 15 minutes.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add chicken, discarding any remaining marinade, and sear for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden on the bottom; flip and cook 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
3. To pan, add onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add rice and remaining 1 tsp oregano and sauté 30 seconds. Add broth and lemon juice; bring to a simmer. Add olives and artichoke hearts then top with chicken; cover and bake for 35 minutes. Remove lid and stir in kale and lemon zest and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, remove one chicken thigh, let cool and freeze for Saturday dinner. Freeze two servings of both chicken and rice mixture, cooling slightly before storing, for later in the week. Thaw and reheat when called for. Refrigerate all remaining servings and heat when called for.
- Serving Size 1 thigh and ¼ of rice mix
- Calories 535
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 175 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 45 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 895 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g