Looking for lunch inspiration? Discover 12 Ways to Liven Up Lunch.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 5-oz BPA-free cans or pouches wild albacore tuna (packed in water), drained
- 2 large stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested, plus 1 tbsp juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2½ tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- 3/4 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot (TIP:Slice vertically from top to bottom.)
- Prepare Pickled Shallots: In a small saucepan, add 1/4 cup water, vinegar, honey, cloves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Add sliced shallot, then cover and remove from heat. Let sit for about 20 minutes. Drain, discarding cloves and peppercorns.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix tuna, celery, lemon zest and juice, chopped shallot, mayonnaise, capers, salt and pepper with a fork until well combined.
- Top each slice bread with romaine, tomato, tuna mixture and pickled shallots, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 1 tuna sandwich
- Calories: 263
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 421 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 5 g