Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Learn more about the health benefits of horseradish.
- On a large sheet of foil, add beets, orange and garlic. (TIP: Position garlic away from beets to prevent garlic from coloring.) Drizzle with oil. Gather edges of foil together to form a loose packet. Wrap with an additional sheet of foil. Poke a few holes in top of packet.
- Add packet to a 4-qt slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, until beets are fork-tender. Transfer packet to a plate. With oven mitts, carefully open packet. Let cool for 15 minutes, until just cool enough to handle. Discard orange and reserve garlic.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a blender or food processor, blend yogurt, horseradish and reserved garlic until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in salt.
- With a paring knife, carefully peel away beet skin. Slice beets into 1/4-inch rounds. To serve, top with sauce, mint and walnuts.
- Serving Size 1 beet, 2 tbsp sauce, 1 tsp mint, 1 tsp walnuts
- Calories 94
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 159 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g