COST FOR RECIPE: $10.81
COST PER PLATE: $2.70
- Prep Time
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 7 1/2 oz BPA-free canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add chickpeas and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until golden, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a steamer basket set over a pot of gently simmering water, cook broccoli until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, crisp and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and add vinegar. Set aside.
- In a clean skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp oil on medium. Add chicken and sauté for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add zucchini, soy sauce and ginger. Sauté until chicken is cooked through and zucchini is tender, 5 to 7 more minutes. Stir in broccoli, orange, onions and dressing and heat through. Serve over rice and top with chickpeas.
- Serving Size: 8 oz chicken mixture, 1/2 c rice, 1 1/2 oz chickpeas
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 66 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 37 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 484 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g