Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of an 8 1/2-inch springform pan with parchment paper; then mist paper and sides of pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, almond butter and honey until smooth. Add prune purée, juice, flaxseeds, vanilla, vinegar and zest, and mix well. Set aside, while you measure dry ingredients, for at least 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir briefly to combine.
- Pour wet mixture over dry one and stir well to blend. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes; then rotate pan 180° to ensure even baking and continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cake springs back when pressed lightly in center. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature while you prepare glaze.
- Prepare glaze: Combine juice and honey in a small, heavy pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat to simmer. Allow mixture to bubble gently, stirring occasionally, until it reduces to about 1/3 cup, about 20 minutes. The mixture will turn deep golden and should coat a spoon.
- Remove sides of pan from cooled cake. Slide a knife or metal spatula between parchment and bottom of the pan, then slip a serving plate into the gap and slide the cake onto it. Pour warm glaze over top of cake and gently spread toward the sides, allowing any excess to drip over the edges. Garnish with additional zest and almonds, if desired.
- Serving Size 1/12 of chocolate almond cake
- Calories 160
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 120 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g