- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder (TRY: Colman’s Dry Powder Mustard)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
- 11/3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup peeled and grated nagaimo (or substitute with about 1/4 cup potato starch) (Note: Wear gloves when grating nagaimo as it can be irritating to skin.)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lb peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
8 cups julienned green cabbage (Tip: Cut cabbage into 2-inch wide wedges then slice.)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 strips all-natural nitrate- and nitrite free bacon, cut in half, optional
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup bonito flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup aonori or dried green laver (dried powdered seaweed), optional
- 1/2 cup pickled ginger, optional
- Prepare Tonkatsu Sauce: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Prepare Japanese-Style Mayonnaise: In a second small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate both sauces until needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, broth, nagaimo and salt. Do not over-mix. Add shrimp, onions and cabbage and mix until cabbage is evenly coated in batter.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet on medium and mist liberally with cooking spray. Add half of cabbage mixture and top with strips of bacon (if using), pressing down gently so that pancake is about 3/4 inch thick. Cook for about 5 minutes, until underside is golden brown. Carefully flip pancake using a wide spatula (or a second skillet), and continue to cook until crisp on the outside and cabbage is softened, another 5 minutes. Carefully flip pancake out onto a plate so that bacon side is up.
(Note: To keep pancake warm until ready to serve, transfer to a parchment-lined baking tray and place uncovered in a 250°F oven.) Repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve, cut pancakes into wedges (if desired) and drizzle evenly with sauces. Add sesame seeds, and if using, bonito flakes, aonori and ginger.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of a pancake
- Calories: 633
- Carbohydrate Content: 73 g
- Cholesterol Content: 285 mg
- Fat Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 869 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g