- Prepare Tonkatsu Sauce: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Prepare Japanese-Style Mayonnaise: In a second small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate both sauces until needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, broth, nagaimo and salt. Do not over-mix. Add shrimp, onions and cabbage and mix until cabbage is evenly coated in batter.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet on medium and mist liberally with cooking spray. Add half of cabbage mixture and top with strips of bacon (if using), pressing down gently so that pancake is about 3/4 inch thick. Cook for about 5 minutes, until underside is golden brown. Carefully flip pancake using a wide spatula (or a second skillet), and continue to cook until crisp on the outside and cabbage is softened, another 5 minutes. Carefully flip pancake out onto a plate so that bacon side is up.
(Note: To keep pancake warm until ready to serve, transfer to a parchment-lined baking tray and place uncovered in a 250°F oven.) Repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve, cut pancakes into wedges (if desired) and drizzle evenly with sauces. Add sesame seeds, and if using, bonito flakes, aonori and ginger.
- Serving Size 1/2 of a pancake
- Calories 633
- Carbohydrate Content 73 g
- Cholesterol Content 285 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 869 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g