- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 1-oz slices reduced-calorie whole-grain bread
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in eighths lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash (such as crookneck), cut in eighths lengthwise
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp mild Louisiana hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and milk until well blended. Place bread in a blender or food processor and process into coarse bread crumbs. In a shallow pan (such as a pie pan), combine bread crumbs, paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Place zucchini and squash wedges in egg mixture. Toss gently, yet thoroughly, to coat well. Working with a few spears at a time, coat zucchini and squash wedges with bread crumb mixture, pressing lightly with fingertips to allow breadcrumbs to adhere.
- Coat a large nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray, arrange zucchini and squash in a single layer on sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Flip over and bake for 3 minutes more, until lightly golden and tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, garlic and hot sauce.
- To serve, sprinkle squash evenly with salt and squeeze lemon over top. Serve immediately with sauce.
- Serving Size: 6 squash spears and 2 tbsp sauce
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 272 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g