Oven-Fried Squash Spears
Branch out a bit and take your fries beyond the potato. Being creative with vegetables such as crookneck squash and zucchini offers personality, variety and flavor dimension to even the simplest menus.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 1-oz slices reduced-calorie whole-grain bread
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in eighths lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash (such as crookneck), cut in eighths lengthwise
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp mild Louisiana hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and milk until well blended. Place bread in a blender or food processor and process into coarse bread crumbs. In a shallow pan (such as a pie pan), combine bread crumbs, paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Place zucchini and squash wedges in egg mixture. Toss gently, yet thoroughly, to coat well. Working with a few spears at a time, coat zucchini and squash wedges with bread crumb mixture, pressing lightly with fingertips to allow breadcrumbs to adhere.
- Coat a large nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray, arrange zucchini and squash in a single layer on sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Flip over and bake for 3 minutes more, until lightly golden and tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, garlic and hot sauce.
- To serve, sprinkle squash evenly with salt and squeeze lemon over top. Serve immediately with sauce.
- Serving Size 6 squash spears and 2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 80
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 272 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g