Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Simmer 3 cups water in a small saucepan over medium. Add chicken and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove chicken with strainer or slotted spoon and set aside. When cool, cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Bring same water to simmer again over medium heat, then add sausage; cook 5 minutes. Remove sausage and set aside, reserving poaching liquid in a bowl or measuring cup.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato, red and green peppers and paprika. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Mash garlic, parsley and saffron if desired together in a small bowl with the back of a spoon or fork until it makes a thick paste.
- Stir garlic-parsley mash into vegetables in pan. Mix in rice and toss together for 2 minutes, until rice is coated.
- Add enough chicken stock to reserved poaching liquid to make 3 1/2 cups. Save any extra stock, as you may need it later. Add stock mixture to rice in pan and bring to boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low, until mixture just simmers. Cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Add chicken, sausage, peas and clams to rice. Cover and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes, until rice is tender and clams open up. If rice gets too dry and begins to stick, add extra broth. Serve in large bowls.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 260
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 70 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 270 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g