Pasta Roll-ups with Turkey and Spinach
Here's a good way to sneak some greens into your kids – and time into your schedule! These lasagna-style roll-ups can be made ahead of time and reheated for a quick, easy weeknight meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Video: Leafy Green Vegetables
Like mom always said: Eat your greens! Chef Jo gives you the lowdown on super-nutritious leafy green vegetables and how to use them in your cooking.
Nutritional Bonus: One serving of these lasagna-style roll-ups gives you 90 % of your vitamin A requirement and a healthy dose of calcium – 366 milligrams to be precise.
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 28-oz can whole tomatoes in juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 sheets dried high-protein or whole-wheat lasagna
- 1 10-oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 15-oz container nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Turn heat to medium-high and add ground turkey, breaking it up with a spatula until meat shows no sign of pink. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg, then add tomatoes and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring and breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse and allow to cool in a colander.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Squeeze all remaining moisture from thawed spinach and place in large bowl. Add ricotta cheese, egg and a 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese to bowl. Stir until combined
- Spread 1 cup of cooked tomato sauce into bottom of a 9 x 10-inch casserole dish. Lay a cooked lasagna noodle flat in front of you. Use your fingers to spread 1/8 of ricotta mixture across the noodle and roll it up. Place the rolled pasta seam side down, into the casserole dish. Repeat with remaining noodles. Spread remaining tomato sauce over roll-ups, then top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella
- Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes or until roll-ups are browned and bubbly.
- Serving Size 1 roll-up
- Calories 234
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 76 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 508 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g