MAKE AHEAD: Once bites are set, transfer to a resealable freezer bag or covered container and freeze up to one month. Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 oz (about 9 tbsp) natural unsalted creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 7 oz 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. To a medium heat-proof bowl, add dates. Add boiling water to cover. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove dates from water with a slotted spoon and reserve 2 tbsp of the soaking water; discard remaining water.
- Meanwhile, to a food processor, add rice cereal, oats, flour and salt. Process into fine crumbs. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
- To food processor, add dates, reserved soaking water, peanut butter and honey. Process until smooth. Add vanilla and process until combined.
- Return cereal mixture to food processor and process on high until a soft, sticky dough forms, about 30 seconds.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop 1-tbsp portions of dough and roll into round balls with hands. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Using a double boiler or a heat-proof bowl over simmering water on low, melt chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until smooth; keep heat at lowest setting. Remove peanut butter balls from freezer. Working with one at a time, gently dip in chocolate mixture with a spoon. Let excess drip off, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 98
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 30 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g