Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 6 day-old thick slices country wheat or whole-wheat bread, cubed
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice, divided
- 1/4 cup natural unsalted peanut butter, room temperature
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and add bread.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, 1/4 cup cane juice and peanut butter, beating with an electric hand mixer until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour mixture evenly over top of bread, spreading and pushing down with a fork to ensure bread is completely covered. Transfer to oven and bake until golden, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine raspberries, remaining 2 tbsp cane juice and 1 tbsp water. Place on medium heat and cook until raspberries release liquid and break down into a sauce, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve over top of bread mixture, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (4-inch x 2 1/4-inch piece and 1/4 cup sauce): Calories: 178, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 12 g, Protein: 9.5 g, Sodium: 171 mg, Cholesterol: 110 mg
Frozen raspberries can also be used if they're 100% berries and not frozen in or sweetened with juice. Thaw, if frozen. If you plan on making this recipe, allow yourself one full day to dry out your bread!