Find more holiday recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 lb pears (6 to 8), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp + 1/2 tsp organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic cane sugar), divided
- 1½ tbsp arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) organic unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 6 or 8 pieces
- 6 tbsp sliced unsalted almonds
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (36% or more)
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, combine pears, lemon juice and 2 tbsp cane juice. Sprinkle arrowroot over mixture and toss until evenly distributed. Transfer mixture to a 2-qt baking dish, smoothing it into an even layer. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/4 cup cane juice. Use a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingertips to work butter into flour mixture, forming heavy crumbs. Stir in almonds and almond extract. Scatter topping evenly over fruit and bake until fruit juices are bubbling and topping is browned, 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld electric mixer, whip cream to very soft peaks. Add cardamom and remaining 1/2 tsp cane juice and whip to soft peaks.
- Serve crumble warm or at room temperature topped with whipped cream.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup crumble and 1 1/2 tbsp whipped cream
- Calories: 246
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 26 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 129 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g