Pear Chocolate Chip Pecan Muffins
These easy muffins are only 155 calories per serving.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups whole buttermilk
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp safflower oil
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped pears
- 5 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted pecans
- 2 tsp Sucanat
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a blender, pulverize 2 1/2 cups oats into a fine flour. In a large bowl, combine oat flour, remaining 1/2 cup oats, 2 tsp cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk egg; stir in buttermilk, maple syrup and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in pears, chocolate chips and pecans.
- In a small bowl, toss together Sucanat and remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Line cups of 2 standard muffin tins with 16 paper liners. Fill each liner three-quarters full with batter. Sprinkle 1/8 tsp Sucanat mixture over batter in each liner. (Fill empty muffin cups with 2 to 3 tbsp water so tins won’t warp during baking.) Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in tins for 10 minutes, then remove and cool muffins completely on wire racks.
- Serving Size 1 muffin
- Calories 155
- Carbohydrate Content 22.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 14 mg
- Fat Content 6.5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 130 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g