Pecan-Crusted Chicken with Sautéed Asparagus & Mushrooms
Chicken gets coated in a seasoned, nutty mix and baked for a crispy pecan-crusted chicken dinner.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1 cup raw unsalted pecans
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
½ tsp each onion powder and garlic powder
3/8 tsp sea salt, divided
1 large egg
2 tbsp plain unsweetened almond milk
4 4-oz boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, pounded to ½-inch thickness
2 tbsp avocado oil, divided
1 shallot, diced
6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. To a food processor, add pecans; pulse to grind to the consistency of a coarse flour. Season pecans with coriander, ½ tsp pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and 1/8 tsp salt.
2. To a large, shallow dish, add egg and milk and whisk to combine. Place pecan flour into another large shallow plate. Dip each chicken piece into the egg and then into the pecan mixture, coating both sides.
3. In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat ½ tbsp oil. Add half of chicken and cook 3 minutes, flip and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Heat ½ tbsp oil, add remaining chicken and repeat; transfer to sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until no longer pink inside.
4. Return skillet to heat and add remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add shallots, mushrooms and asparagus. Season with remaining ½ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp salt. Sauté for 5 minutes. Serve with chicken, and Spicy Apricot BBQ Sauce.
- Serving Size 1 thigh with ¼ of vegetables
- Calories 422
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 153 mg
- Fat Content 31 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 323 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 17 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g