- Prep Time
- 36 squaresServings
1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic sugar), divided
¾ cup + 1 tbsp cold organic unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, divided
¼ cup tapioca flour
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
½ cup chopped unsalted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang.
2. In a food processor, pulse whole-wheat flour, ½ cup cane juice, ¾ cup butter and tapioca flour until mixture resembles bread crumbs, 10 to 15 pulses. Add orange zest and pecans and pulse once to combine. Spread mixture evenly over prepared pan and press into bottom of pan with floured hands. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 23 minutes.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut into 36 squares. Lift parchment to remove from pan and break into squares.
4. In a small saucepan on medium-high, bring remaining ½ cup cane juice and 2 tbsp water to a boil; boil until sugar is brown and smells like caramel, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1 tbsp butter. Drizzle caramel over squares. Once caramel sets, transfer to an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Square
- Calories: 93
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 11 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g